Bar Exams scheduled for July 28-30, 2020 and September 9-11, 2020
In its Thirteenth Emergency Order Regarding the COVID-19 State of Disaster (Misc. Docket No 20-9060), the Supreme Court of Texas:
- Determined that the Board should administer the Texas bar examination as scheduled on July 28-30, 2020, subject to change based on state and local orders and the guidance of public health authorities.
- Determined the Board should also offer an administration of the Texas bar examination on September 9-11, 2020.
- Adopted updated Rules Governing the Supervised Practice of Law by Qualified Law Students and Qualified Unlicensed Law School Graduates in Texas.
The full order, including the new Rules Governing the Supervised Practice of Law by Qualified Law Students and Qualified Unlicensed Law School Graduates in Texas, can be viewed here: Misc. Docket No 20-9060
The Board will extend the final filing deadline for registering for the July 2020 Texas Bar Exam to 11:59 p.m. on June 1, 2020.
- Seating for the July 2020 bar exam will be limited as needed to implement social distancing and other safety requirements. Seating will be prioritized based on registration date. If an eligible applicant is not permitted to take the July bar examination, we will automatically register the applicant for the September administration and transfer their fees, unless the applicant requests (on or before a date set by the Board) to change or withdraw registration and transfer the fees to a future administration in Texas or to an application for admission based on a transferred UBE score.
- If any July 2020 applicant withdraws their application by June 1, we will apply their fees to a future Texas Bar Exam or a future UBE transfer application. To withdraw, simply message your analyst by June 1.
- New July 2020 applicants who have already submitted a UBE transfer application to us should request a fee waiver with their bar exam application so that we can apply their UBE transfer fees to the bar exam application.
- The Board will waive late fees for new July 2020 applicants who are applying for the July 2020 Texas Bar Exam due to the cancellation or postponement of a bar exam that they applied for in another state. These applicants should request a fee waiver with their bar exam application and provide documentation of their registration for a now-cancelled or postponed bar exam.
UPDATED 5/4/20: To apply for the September 2020 Texas Bar Exam, submit a bar exam application by the June 1 deadline.
The Board will begin accepting applications for the September 2020 bar exam soon. The July 2020 bar exam filing deadlines apply to the September 2020 Texas Bar Exam.
- To apply for the September exam, submit a bar exam application by the June 1 deadline. For now, the application will still reference the July 2020 bar exam. Our programmers will soon add a feature to ATLAS to allow you to easily convert an application for the July 2020 Texas Bar Exam into an application for the September 2020 Texas Bar Exam. We will notify you via ATLAS once this feature has been added. Any July 2020 applicant will be able to transfer to the September exam without any additional fees.
- We are in the process of securing venues for the September exam. Please understand that we may not be able to offer the exam in all six cities.
We will update our FAQs with more information about exam sites and application procedures in the coming days.